Thursday, 17 September 2009

First week of Bimbles.

Have had a strange time over the last week and have seen some amassing places and met some great people. I will do my best to sum up the best parts.

So to Start with I hitched down to London to The eco-village (land occupation) and had a lovely few days, was sad to leave. worth a visit, full of lovely people. After 4 days I had to head off before I moved in! so first step was hitching across on the ferry to Calais, which was surprisingly easy; found a German Lorry driver that didn't speak a word of English at a service station and I was across. Once in Calais I chilled out for a day and had a look around, got bored so hitched via 2 Lorries (a rather ridiculous route) to near Boulonge.

Where the policeman caught up with me.


This is where it starts to get amusing; the guy just ditched me on the motorway, which was pretty bad, specially as there was only on way out accross a slipway. so I waited for ages until it was very clear and crossed it, only problem was a Policeman spotted me earlier from the other dirrection so after 30min of walking away from the motorway he caught up with me and pointed his pistol at me, told me to drop my bag and searched me! then he told me never to go on the motorway and took me 5km into the middle of nowhere and ditched me there and told me to hitch from there! was rather fun if I am honest.


After that the weirdness didn't stop, as I didn't know where I was I thought it wise to hitch to Boulogne and start again, so I tried for an hour on this desolate road, eventually a girl picked me up that only spoke French and she misunderstood what I tried communicate by the biggest amount possible and dropped me at a homeless shelter, which I was hugely entertained by and thought I may as well give it a try, the suppricing thing was it was great! lovely food and a good bed; far better than most backpacking hostles! someone explained that there are a lot of n.f.a people in france so they even have a number to call anywhere in france where they come and pick you up and drop you at one of these shelters for free. They people have it good in France.
A castle in Boulogne. 

I thought I may as well check Boulogne out, it was fairly rubbish, but I did meet an amusing fellow called Andrew I asked him for directions and we got talking, turns out his was vaguely travelling around France after doing the same in Spain for a year. He Asked me if I wanted to help him carry abit of metal that weighed about 30Kg for about 10km for 15euro, I thought it was a rather odd propositon but was intrigued. After I helped him do that we hung out for a day or 2 which was rather odd, finally I tired of Boulogne and hitched out to the nearest motorway Sevices. Which I later realised was a bad idea as I was ill for a day and a half and didn't enjoy myself a whole lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment